Church of Our Lady
The Parish Church at Warnford is situated in private parkland the former house of the estate was demolished 1958. The Church of our lady dates back to Saxon origins (much rebuilt in between 1171 & 1213) the west tower is Norman.This site is not well known, Parking is difficult but worth the effort. A short walk along a public footpath crossing the river meon along an estate road you reach the church. Inside to the left of the alter is a grand monument to Sir Thomas Neale (died1621) his life sized effigy and those of his two wives sit on top of the monument, Out side the church by the main door is an interesting grave stone to George Lewis showing a skeleton pointing to a fallen branch. It is said to be recording the accidental death of this local carpenter who was killed by a falling branch while cutting wood on the Sabbath.
Behind the church is the small ruin/remains of St Johns House a 13th century aisled manor house.
Many people are aware of the Brighton Royal Pavilion and its Indian design. Due to this it was used as a Hospital in the first world war. for Indian Troops. 1.5 million Indian soldiers saw active service on the Western Front in WW1. some 12,000 were wounded. 53 of the servicemen who died in Brighton were Sikh & Hindu, respecting their religious needs they were cremated on the South Downs close to Patchham (their ashes then being then scattered in the sea).
At the cremation site is a war memorial called The Chattri as the monument is known was unveiled in 1921 by the Prince of Wales.
Today this war memorial is well worth the walk on the Downs across farm land to its isolated & tranquil location a good spot to reflect on what this memorial means.
Knock Eire is a centre of international Catholic pilgrimage & prayer site. On August 21st, 1879, the Virgin Mary, St Joseph and St John the Evangelist, appeared on the gable of Knock Parish Church. This Apparition was witnessed by 15 locals , young & old. As a result, Knock became a major Irish pilgrimage site of prayer and worship. In the latter part of the 20th century Knock’s popularity increased steadily, making it one of Europe’s major Catholic Maria shrine together with Lourdes & Fatima. Today this shrine is visited by one and a half million pilgrims annually.We visited a few years ago, the short walk from the car park to the shrines, passed through what was like a little Christmas market lots of wooden shed/huts all with plastic bottles of all shapes and sizes for sale for you to fill with Holly Water which came from a bank of taps near the Cathedral.
Bottle Bank at Knock
Signpost near car park Knock
A few miles from Lee on the Solent, at Meon shore is the remains of this WW2 bunker / outlook on a small sandstone cliff it is just hanging on its foundations are starting to be exposed due to coastal erosion and I am sure it will go over the edge in the next few years. looking out on Southampton Water towards the Fawley Power Station which is also now redundant and about to be demolished. A few years ago there were 2 of these structures but today only one remains. Picture taken November 2014.
view from bunker
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them
THE WAR TO END ALL WARS
Views of Cardiff Bay and on to the Pier at Penarth which was named pier of the year 2014. The pier has been recently restored a simple pier but great to see such an investment. Drive back along the coast to include chambered burial tomb at St Lythan.
pier of the year 2014
Another wet day so a drive up the valley to Brecon and the mountain centre. Came across a ruined iron works in the lower valley before getting into the Brecons .Now overgrown called Clydach in was a nice short stroll between showers.
copy of picture of iron works as it was -drawing from sign at site
iron works today
bridge across the river to iron works
Brecon’s in the rain